Setting up an Account to Print at Walmart
This article is going to help you print at Walmart, because that’s the one place I know the most about.
- Make your account at Walmart.com (make sure to remember your username and password).
- Upload your digital file to their ‘albums’, and then you are set to find the nearest Walmart and set up shop for printing at their Instant Prints kiosk.
Logging Into the Website
- At the kiosk, you put in your username and password; this way, you can get to the album you need to print on their kiosk computer.
- If you are able to retrieve it properly, it will state that on the screen and bring you to the menu to choose the photos you need to print.
How Many People Are Coming?
By this point, I am going to hope that you already have a guest list and know how many people you need to invite. You will have asked your graphic designer to make your invitation in the 4×6 format. This is because we mentioned before that this is the cheapest dimension for the Walmart printing kiosk, roughly $0.29 when you do it in store and $0.09 when you do it online.
- Figure out how many invitations you need and select the number as shown in the photos above—and, as a party planner, I suggest you print a few extras in case they get lost or you forgot to add someone to the guest list.
- While at Walmart, you can pick up social envelopes. They come in the 4×6 and the 5×7 varieties, generally with lots of different colors and usually with the sticky back on the flap—so you don’t have to lick the envelope!
Glossy vs. Matte Photo Paper
You can decide which photo finish you like best. It’s a personal preference, though I personally favor the matte finish, because it has less glare and doesn’t reflect the light as harshly. Walmart only uses photo finish, so you have these two choices.
After the last step, press NEXT until you get to the photo finish choice on the screen shown below. Both of these types of photo paper are described as a ‘gloss’ finish for the photo. In the case of invitations, you get these two choices when it comes to printing.
- With the matte finish, there is less shine to the photo. It’s smoother than a glossy photo, but matte tends to feel rough to the touch, like there are small bumps across the surface.
- With the glossy finish, it’s just what it sounds like: It’s glossy. The photo is shiny, and the surface is slick and reflects light, which can cause a glare on the photo when looking at it in a certain light.
What More Do You Need?
While you wait for your prints to load and become ready, you can wander the store. That’s another reason why I love to use Walmart for my prints when I am printing for a party.
Envelopes and Address Labels
Make sure to grab your social envelopes we discussed earlier. It’s usually located in the office supplies section of the store, where you might find packing tape and packing supplies.
From there, you can decide if you also want address labels – if you do, you can get the Avery brand and design them online or once again ask your graphic artist to make them in the same theme as your party and invitations.
If you are going to do address labels, you will have to print those at home on your printer, so make sure you have plenty of ink for your printer. All those supplies can be found in the office supplies section of Walmart. Gather them all up and by the time you get them in the cart, your prints will be ready to pick up.